If you've had a rough day or are suffering from stress and anxiety, having a natural go-to solution, like an essential oil can help relieve your symptoms. Essential oils have aromatic, fragrant molecules that can actually pass right through the blood/brain barrier, having a direct effect on the areas of our brain in charge of controlling feelings of stress, anxiety and even panic and depression.
We've put together a list of the top 5 essential oils to relieve stress and anxiety.
#1 Lavender Essential Oil
- Lavender is perhaps one of the best and most commonly used Essential oil for stress and anxiety. It's a perfect pick-me-up, it's fresh and floral aroma is relaxing and calming. Lavender essential oil is excellent for improving mental concentration, reducing stress, and calming agitation.
#2 Cedarwood Essential Oil
- Cedarwood Essential oil is great at relieving stress and tension and has a calming effect on the mind. Biologically the aroma of cedarwood promotes the release of serotonin, responsible for stabilizing moods.
#3 Vetiver Essential Oil
- Vetiver Essential Oil has a tranquil, grounding and reassuring energy, often used in trauma helping with self-awareness, calmness and stabilization. A nervous system tonic, it decreases jitteriness and hypersensitivity and is also useful in panic attacks.
#4 Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
- This popular essential oil can treat anxiety and depression due to its calming and uplifting effects. Ylang Ylang helps with cheerfulness, courage, optimism and soothes fearfulness. It may calm heart agitation and nervous palpitations and is a moderately strong sedative, which can help with insomnia.
#5 Bergamot Essential Oil
- Bergamot is commonly found in Earl Grey Tea and has a distinctive floral taste and aroma. Bergamot oil is calming and often used to treat depression by providing energy; however it can also help with insomnia by inducing relaxation and reducing agitation.
What's your experience with using essential oils for stress and anxiety? What are your favorite blends? We would love to hear from you!